Mile Mark: 11.00
The danger of fire was ever present on a railroad entirely powered by coal. This small building was originally built a few yards to the north and was moved to it's current position when the second two story annex was added to the farm house between 1911 and 1917. Like those other buildings it was used for parts storage and called a Scrap House. Only later it's primary purpose was to hold firefighting equipment. There was a bridge across Jordan Creek just behind the Hose House so to provide quick access for the equipment to the Presidents house just across the creek. It likely housed a small fire engine.
Back to Yard Office/Storage Sheds
|Click on the image to see larger version||
Forward to Inspection Pit
|Up to Rockhill Yards|
|Up to Shirleysburg to Rockhill Furnace|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|