Building: Boiler House
Machine Power: steam
HAER Map Key: D
Date Built: unknown
Published Photos: TMB 13
Ths eight foot flywheel stationary engine used steam from the boilers to power all the shaft driven equipment in the shops. The engine is said to have been originally a circulation pump at the Rockhill Furnace, dwarfed by the 20' flywheeled main engines. It was found inadequate there and transferred to the EBT shops in the 1880's.* Although reported as being a Corliss or Corliss licesnes design engine, the unit's cylinder design contradicts this claim.
The engine is directly below the roof beam failure in the building. The intake and regulator were removed in the late 1980's for safe keeping and cribbing built over the engine to reinforce the roof. The engine has not run since 1956, but is still in good condition. To keep the machines running, the line shafts were disconnected from the steam engine and instead connected to a large electric motor serviced by the new power utility in town. The motor was alitned with the main line shaft the steam engine used. Later separate smaller motors were installed on each section of line shaft so they could be run separately, and the connecting belts between the shafts were removed.
In 2003, an FEBT work party excavated the large amount of accumulated debris from the flywheel pit and around the engine. The engine itself will be cleaned up as well in the future.
* Vagel C. Keller, EBT B.O.D. notes
Back to Steam Driven Sump Pump
|Click the image to see larger version|
Forward to Hydrostatic Pump
|Up to Boiler House.|
|Up to South Wings.|
|Tour Entry||Tour Index||Tour Info|